- 4 cups (800 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) corn syrup
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) water
- ¾ teaspoon (1 ½ grams) salt
- 2-4 drops (subjective) of any OOOFlavors you desire (strawberry, cherry, orange,
- 2 drops of any food coloring you feel is right (optional)
- Cover 8 cardboard paper-towel tubes with parchment (you can just loosely tape the parchment onto the tube). Set aside. With a damp pastry brush, wipe down the sides of the pan to prevent stray sugar crystals from forming.
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt. Stir until the sugar is melted. Clip on a candy thermometer, stop stirring, and heat to 320 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius).
- Pour the molten liquid into a shallow heat proof container. Add the OOOFlavors desired flavoring and food coloring (if using) and stir well. Line your work table with parchment. You may also spread parchment on the floor around the table to catch any stray bits of flying sugar.
- Dip your decapitated whisk into the sugar syrup and hold it over the pot to let the sugar drip back into container for a second. Holding the whisk a foot (30 centimeters) above the parchment, swing the whisk back and forth so that thin strands of sugar fall on the paper.
- Repeat this a few more times until you have a nice nest of spun sugar.