At some point in our lives, we all experienced shopping for cosmetic products. We roam the aisles looking at dozens of items and comparing one from the other. Depending on the product, it may be expensive, contain harsh ingredients, or have an unpleasant scent. However, “holy grail” moments happen, and you can find products that are just right for you. Although these moments are great, have you ever thought about making your own cosmetic products? Among the many benefits, you can create custom products that are right for you every time. If you’re interested in making your own products, read our top tips for making cosmetic products at home for more information.
What Are the Cosmetic Product Categories?
Many people associate cosmetic products with makeup. Although makeup is a subcategory of cosmetics, there are other categories. The four main categories of cosmetic products are skincare, haircare, personal care, and face care. Products come in the form of powders, gels, solutions, lotions, and creams. Over the past decades, the cosmetic industry has become one of the fastest-growing industries with many manufacturers. Luckily, you can create your own products within these categories.
Reasons To Make Your Own Cosmetic Products
- You know all the ingredients used to make the product. You can avoid harmful and harsh chemicals that damage the skin.
- Creating your own cosmetic products is fun! You turn into a cosmetic scientist as you mix ingredients and create custom formulas. You may start with a lip balm and end with making your own mascaras and eye shadows.
- Homemade cosmetics are environmentally friendly. Companies produce cosmetic products in large factories, which contributes to pollution. Since you’re making homemade products, there’s no pollution.
- You’re saving money. Traditional cosmetic products cost a lot of money. By making your own products, you’re spending less while getting more product.
Homemade vs. Factory Made
Given that the cosmetic industry is enormous with an ever-increasing demand for products, manufacturers mass-produce several cosmetic products at a time. Typically, production takes place in warehouses using synthetic cosmetic ingredients. Synthetic refers to naturally derived ingredients being taken and replicated in labs. Many products we use have synthetic ingredients. However, it doesn’t mean they’re not harmful.
Homemade cosmetic products that use natural ingredients are better for our skin. The material is organic, which is safer for your body, and it reduces the chance of skin irritation or allergic reactions. If you’re someone with sensitive skin, you should consider making your own products.
Natural Ingredients To Use
One of the best things about homemade cosmetics is that they’re eco-friendly. Creating products with raw or simple materials is better for your body and the environment. If you’re looking for raw or simple material options, check our list below:
- Essential oils
- Coconut Oil
- Baking Powder
- Shea Butter
- Dried Hibiscus Root (and other dried plant roots)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
How To Make Your Cosmetic Products Smell and Taste Good
Store-bought cosmetic products have a variety of smells due to perfumes and additives. Manufacturers use scents like coconut, strawberry, and tropical blends to entice buyers. Beauty products such as lip balms contain flavoring for sweet tastes. On the other hand, natural ingredients don’t have overwhelming scents or flavors, making homemade products mild. You can incorporate concentrated flavoring or essential oils in your formulas if you want a particular scent or taste. Your products will smell amazing while being all-natural.
Equipment You Need
While making homemade cosmetic products, it’s essential to have equipment designated for cosmetic production. Avoid using personal kitchen equipment because the cosmetic residue isn’t safe for consumption. Here is a list of equipment you may need:
- Hand whisk and spatulas
- Digital scale
- Measuring cups
- Glass bowls
- Glass jars (for finished products)
- Storage containers
- Protective gloves
What Are the Easiest Products To Make
Starting out as a beginner, you can create simple products. But, as you’ll quickly realize, it’s easier to make some cosmetic products than others. A great place to start is with body scrubs, lip balms, and moisturizers. Typically, these products only require a few ingredients, and the creation process is less than thirty minutes. As you move further along in the cosmetic range, you will create different products with complex steps.
Strategies for Making Cosmetic Products at Home
- Add natural preservatives. Most cosmetic products have a natural preservative that guards against contamination. While making your products, add a natural preservative that combats bacteria and fungal growth.
- Select the formula suitable for you. Before making products, read the ingredient list and select a formula that doesn’t contain materials you’re allergic to or ingredients you don’t like.
- Always follow formula instructions. Avoid freestyling formulas because products will be unbalanced, and the texture will be loose or stiff. Always follow specific instructions for the correct outcome.
- Make the right amount of product. When making your own cosmetics, creating the right amount is essential. If you’re making products solely for yourself, avoid creating too much product because they will expire before proper usage.
- Place products in correct containers. After creating your cosmetic product, it’s essential to store your creations in air-tight containers. These containers will keep your formula safe from germs while ensuring a longer shelf life.
- Do frequent smell tests. While working with natural ingredients, the shelf life is limited. Therefore, if you notice odd smells from ingredients, do not use them. They may be expired. Purchase new materials to avoid a bacteria spread.
Creating your own cosmetic products is great for your skin and the environment. This is because you’re using natural ingredients that aren’t factory-made with synthetic materials. If you’re thinking about making your own products, refer to our top tips for making cosmetic products at home. If you’re already creating formulas and want to enhance them, consider Get Suckered’s concentrated flavoring. Get Suckered is a top flavor concentrate manufacturer with a large selection of flavors. Not only will you find a flavor you love, but you will enhance your cosmetic products. We hope this blog was beneficial, and we wish you luck in your homemade cosmetic journey!