Like many of us, your goal for the new year is to eat healthier. You may mentally prepare yourself for a series of tasteless or bland meals, but you don’t have to experience that! You can start the year eating healthy without sacrificing taste in a few easy ways. Check out this guide for great tips.
Busting the Myth About Healthy Eating
When you embark on a healthy eating journey, you may frown at the thought of giving up your favorite foods. You may think you’ll have to settle for a life of bland meals. However, that’s far from true! Healthy eating isn’t bland or lacking in flavor. There are tons of ways to enjoy healthy meals that taste good. Whether you add food flavoring concentrates or different seasoning methods, you can make a delicious (and nutritious) meal.
Tips for Healthy Eating Success
In order to start the year off right, it’s essential to approach healthy eating with an open mind and a commitment to a lifestyle change. If you don’t know where to start, check out these great tips:
Rather than making significant changes to your diet, it’s essential to start small. As much as we would like our bodies to quickly switch habits, healthy eating is something you want to ease into because it sets the foundation for future eating habits. Gradually make small changes like incorporating more fruits and veggies in your meals or stepping back from refined sugars. These small changes will make big improvements in areas of your health!
Keep It Simple
Cooking healthy meals do not require hours of prep time or measuring every portion of food. When you look at the basis of nutritional eating, there is an emphasis of a balanced diet. Protein, carbohydrates, and fruits and vegetable are the makings of a nice meal. So, the next time you’re preparing a meal, don’t overthink the process. Have a great mix of the food groups and enjoy the dish.
Pay Attention To Condiments
Condiments can add to the calorie count of your meal. Whether it’s a salad, hamburger, or any meal that tastes better with something extra, it can affect your calorie intake. Pay attention to the serving size of condiments and be mindful of the amount you put on your food.
Increase Your Water Intake
Water is an integral part of making healthy lifestyle changes. It can boost your energy, reduce the risk of dehydration, and keep you fuller longer. It’s also good for our overall wellbeing. If you’re someone who struggles to drink water, you can add fruit slices to enhance the flavor to increase your intake.
The Importance of Fruits and Vegetables
All healthy diets incorporate fruits and vegetables. They’re a primary source of vitamins and minerals and provide our bodies with antioxidants. It’s important to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables to promote better health and wellness. If you want ideas on what to include in your diet, check out these options:
- Dark greens: Kale, spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce, and cabbage are among the dark greens you can add to your diet.
- Apples are a good soluble fiber and source of pectin.
- Avocados are a healthy fat and good for heart health.
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries provide significant antioxidants and are high in Vitamin C.
- Bell Peppers come in a variety of colors that carry antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber.
Don’t Forget the Protein!
Besides fruits and vegetables, healthy diets also require protein. Many people associate protein with meat, but it also comes in the form of legumes, beans, nuts, eggs, and tofu. Protein can give you energy and taste great in different meals. If you want an easy way to boost your protein intake, you can make homemade trail mix with a mixture of nuts, seeds, and other things you like.
Select Healthy Fats
Did you know there are healthy fats? You can find healthy fats in avocados, olives, fish, and many other things. The key is finding monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats because they’re natural and good for our bodies.
Sources of Monounsaturated Fats
- Canola oil
- Olive oil
- Sunflower oil
- Sesame oil
- Peanut butter
Sources of Polyunsaturated Fats
- Corn oil
- Soybean oil
- Fatty fish (tuna, salmon, herring, etc.)
- Safflower oil
Bringing On the Flavor
Eating healthy doesn’t mean you must sacrifice taste. You can bring flavor to your meals by adding low sodium seasonings or using flavorful fruits and veggies. For example, onions and garlic can naturally elevate the taste of your meal, and citrus zest can make dishes taste amazing!
Create a Balance Right for You
The only way to successfully move into healthy eating is by creating a balance that’s right for you. What are some realistic changes you can make? Perhaps you can commit to eating two meals with vegetables every day. Maybe you can increase your protein and water intake. Regardless of your choice, it must fit your lifestyle!
5 Tips for Staying on Track
As we settle into the new year, it’s easy to slip from our healthy eating habits. However, we have a few ways to help you stay on track!
- Find healthy foods you love. When you eat flavorless or unappetizing meals, you won’t enjoy food. Find meals and enjoyable flavor combinations that you can look forward to.
- Avoid unhealthy food triggers. Though soda, chips, and candy taste good, they’re not good for you. Avoid foods that will leave you wanting more. For example, don’t purchase snacks that tend to make you overindulge.
- Eat snacks throughout the day. Healthy snacks can curb hunger and help you retain energy during your daily activities. It can also help you avoid overeating during meals.
- Limit your sugary drinks. Many sugary drinks don’t have nutritional value and they can add to your calorie intake. If you’re a fan of sugary drinks, just be mindful of your intake.
- Celebrate the small wins! Changing eating habits isn’t easy, so celebrate the small successes you make along the way. This will motivate you to stay on track.
If your goal for the new year is to eat healthier, you can easily start the year eating healthy without sacrificing taste. We hope our guide gave you fantastic ideas. If you’re interested in enhancing the flavor of meals, you can add flavor concentrates! Here at Get Suckered, we have a variety of flavor enhancers that taste amazing. Browse through our selection today.