Chocolate Strawberry Cake Ball Truffles
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow, chocolate or white cake mix
- 1 (16-ounce) can cream cheese, vanilla or chocolate frosting
- 1 (1 lb. bag) confectioners' coating - candy wafers (vanilla, milk or dark chocolate)
- 1-2 drops (subjective) OOOFlavors Chocolate Strawberry Flavoring
- Liquid food coloring (to color frosting), optional
- Powdered food coloring (to color vanilla wafers), optional
- Candy sprinkles for decoration, optional
- Bake cake in a 9" x 13" pan according to package directions. Allow cake to cool and crumble into a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon frosting into a medium bowl and add OOOFlavors Chocolate Strawberry Flavoring, until desired flavor is achieved.
- Add about 3/4 of the frosting to the crumbled cake and stir to mix completely, adding more frosting if needed.
- Chill mixture in refrigerator for 30 - 60 minutes. Remove mixture from refrigerator. Roll into 1" size balls and place on a wax-paper lined baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Melt 1/4 package of the candy melts, according to package directions (balls are easiest to dip when the chocolate coating is warm so it's best to melt small amounts at a time).
- Remove cake balls from freezer. Line a cookie sheet with heavy-weight dipping paper or wax paper. Using a dipping fork, drop one ball into the melted chocolate; lift out with the fork and gently shake off excess. Place dipped cake ball onto the lined baking sheet. Continue until all cake balls have been dipped. If decorating with candy sprinkles, sprinkle tops before the chocolate has a chance to harden. If decorating with a chocolate drizzle, allow balls to harden completely before adding the drizzle.
- Store finished cake balls in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
For decorative drizzle:
- Melt wafers (vanilla*, milk chocolate or dark chocolate) according to package directions.*Vanilla wafers can be colored if desired. Add a small amount of powdered food coloring to melted wafers and stir to blend completely.*
- Spoon melted chocolate into microwavable squeeze bottle.
- Drizzle over cake balls as desired.