- 1 box brownie mix (any variety)
- Candy wafers (vanilla, milk or dark chocolate)
- OOOFlavors Chocolate Peppermint Flavoring
- Powdered Food Coloring, any color
- Large lollipop sticks
- Royal Icing (recipe below), optional
- Sanding Sugar, optional
1. Make brownies following package directions for cake-like brownies. Bake in an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" pan according to package directions. Cool completely.
2. Trim outer 1/2" of brownies and discard (or eat!). Cut remaining interior portion of brownies into 1" to 1-1/2" squares. Roll each square into a ball, pushing the top, crisper layer to the inside.
3. Push a sucker stick into the middle of each ball.
4. In a small, microwave safe bowl (or 1-cup pyrex measuring cup), heat 1 cup of candy wafers at 30 seconds on 50% power. Continue to heat for 30 second intervals at 50% power until completely melted. Add 3-6 drops of OOOFlavors Chocolate Peppermint Flavoring, until desired flavor intensity is achieved. If using, stir in powdered food coloring. (powdered coloring is very concentrated - use sparingly)
5. Using the lollipop stick as a handle, dip each brownie ball into melted candy coating; lift ball and gently swirl to remove excess candy. If desired, sprinkle with sanding sugar while coating is still soft. Note: If candy coating seem too thick for dipping, stir in a teaspoon or more of shortening until melted.
6. Place dipped balls on heavy dipping paper and allow candy to harden.
7. Decorate with royal icing or drizzle with another color of candy coating, if desired.
Store in an airtight container. Makes approximately 15 - 20 brownie pops.
For Royal Icing:
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup dried egg whites
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
Beat 1/4 cup dried egg whites into 1/2 cup cold water until peaks form. Beat in 4 cups sifted confectioners sugar until desired consistency. Add more sugar for stiffer icing.