The only thing that tastes better than candy is homemade candy! Although crafting your sweet treats may seem complicated, we’re here to simplify the process and share some of the best candies to make at home this summer. To get started on these sweet recipes, check out our guide below.
Chocolate Oreo Balls
Who doesn’t love a sweet and smooth dessert? If you enjoy the classic taste of chocolate, then Oreo balls are an ideal summer candy for you. Learn more about making Oreo balls below.
How It’s Made
- First, grab a handful of Oreo cookies.
- Now, it’s time to crush your cookies. The smaller the pieces, the better. If you have a food processor, these machines can crush your Oreos, or you can place cookies in a sealed bag and smash them yourself.
- Next, you’ll combine your Oreo crumbs with a block of cream cheese into a bowl with a mixer. Slowly combine these two ingredients until the Oreos and cream cheese are evenly blended.
- Take sections of your Oreo and cream cheese and roll the ingredients in a ball shape with your hands.
- Next, melt milk or dark chocolate with a microwave or stove.
- Dip your Oreo balls into your melted chocolate until they are completely covered. Then, place the chocolate-covered Oreo balls on a baking sheet.
- Once you’ve prepared all of your Oreo balls, place the baking sheet inside your fridge for one hour.
- Take your Oreo balls out of the fridge and indulge in this sweet treat.
Colorful Hard Candy
If chocolate is not your candy flavor of choice, try colorful hard candy instead. Colorful hard candy, otherwise known as shattered glass candy, combines the sweet and tangy flavors of classic lollipop and gummy candy recipes. To taste this candy, follow the recipe below.
How It’s Made
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- On your stovetop, heat together water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar. Continue heating and stirring this mixture until the sugar dissolves entirely.
- Once the mixture is boiling, use a thermometer to continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 300 F.
- After the corn syrup reaches 300 F, remove the pan from your stovetop.
- Now you get to add your flavors! Pour in candy flavoring oils and any other desired food coloring. For summer, we recommend watermelon, mango, or blueberry.
- Once you’ve added your flavors, pour the syrup onto your aluminum foil baking sheet. You’ll leave your syrup on your baking sheet for 2 hours at room temperature while it dries.
- After the syrup has completely hardened, take a fork or knife and crush the candy into smaller pieces.
- Grab a piece of your colorful hard candy and enjoy!
These are just a few of the best candies to make at home this summer! Check out our Get Suckered website for more information, flavor ingredients, and recipes.